RECIPE: Foolproof Homemade ‘Eat Savvy’ Approved Mayo!
Making your own healthy, Eat Savvy compliant, Paleo-friendly, homemade mayonnaise has never been so easy! With this Homemade Mayonnaise Recipe . . . you’ll #BeSavvy and avoid chemical additives and ‘nasty oils’.
It’s a foolproof method, quick and savvy – so you’ll NEVER need to buy store-bought mayo ever again!
If you’ve started to understand the damaging effects of commercial vegetable and seed oils, and you’ve read the labels of the mayo in the store (even the ‘organic’ ones are scary) you’ve probably given up on mayo a long time ago. We certainly have – until now!
Forget buying mayonnaise loaded with additives and nasty vegetable oils or soybean oil . . . when it will take you less than a minute with the right equipment and you’ll #BeSavvy to boot!
Basic Homemade Mayo
Equipment you’ll need:
- 1 glass jar, which you will use to both make and store the mayo. Make sure that you use ajar that’s tall enough and with an opening that’s just wide enough to accommodate your stick/immersion blender. We’ve tended to use the jars that coconut oil came in.
- An ‘Immersion Blender otherwise know as a ‘Stick Blender’. This is a magic kitchen tool that’ll make your mayonnaise come together so easily. And yes, it must absolutely be a stick blender. Nothing else will work in this instance.
- One WHOLE large or extra-large fresh egg taken straight from the fridge
- One cup Liquid Coconut Oil (MCT Oil)
- The juice of half a lemon or lime (make it a good 3 teaspoons or more)
- A generous pinch of salt
- Optional added flavourings (see more on adding flavour later.)
Add all ingredients to the jar. Use a large or extra-large egg, otherwise, you might need to add an extra one if the eggs are small. Let the ingredients sit for a few seconds, just long enough for the egg to settle comfortably at the bottom of the jar, underneath the oil.
Insert your immersion blender and push it all the way down until it makes contact with the bottom of the jar. Blend well with stick blender unit it thickens, It will take less than a minute! If it doesn’t thicken you may need to add another egg. If this happens, add more lemon juice salt and pepper to taste. If it does not thicken – check you added everything! Did you forget an ingredient? eg Lemon Juice?
About the oil, it’s VERY IMPORTANT that you use a light tasting oil. Some Olive Oils are ok, but they can be too strong for mayonnaise and leave a very oily flavour. You could substitute avocado, macadamia, almond or walnut oil for some (or all) of the liquid coconut oil. We like to use two oils to vary the nutrients and flavour profile of each batch, but it’s based on the Liquid Coconut / MCT oil.
You can substitute the lemon/lime juice for an equivalent quantity of vinegar such as Apple Cider Vinegar. We’ve found that vinegar can make this a little finicky in the thickening. Nothing seems to beat fresh lemon or lime juice for both flavour and efficacy.
You can flavour your mayo whichever way you like!
Some examples :
- a teaspoon of Dijon or grainy mustard, or simply mustard powder from the pantry.
- minced garlic (or horseradish)
- fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano etc) Salted Herbs are an incredible addition!
- a pinch of cracked black pepper adds a little bit of a kick to it. Or even some cayenne pepper.
- Need to sweeten it up for a family member resisting the changes in diet? Add some honey or maple syrup.
Want some examples of tasty blends? To the basic recipe add:
- A touch of pepper, 1/2 teaspoon of mustard powder, 1 teaspoon honey. Even substitute some of the coconut oil for Macadamia oil if you like.
- Like the flavour of Garlic Aoli? Add a teaspoon of wholegrain mustard and 2 crushed garlic cloves – voila! Maybe even substitute some of the coconut oil for avocado oil!
- Get creative – and share your favourite blends with us!
What were your thoughts? Share below!
[What’s the ‘EAT SAVVY’ Diet? It’s a breakthrough compilation of research-based dietary philosophies, that the whole family can follow! A Dietary approach to help you Boost Energy, Improve Mental Clarity, Detox, Shed Excess Fat, Reduce Allergies, Improve Skin Health and more . . . GET STARTED HERE]